Wednesday, June 14, 2006

A lapdance and a trailer

I couldn't leave without commenting on this:
It seems that the debit cards that FEMA handed out to those displaced from Hurricanes Rita and Katrina have been used for everything from "a divorce lawyer" to "adult erotica products." Don't even tell me you are surprised. And you wonder why it takes so long to get aid to people who really need it? Its because some idiots work so hard to mess with the system. Whether its filing fake death certificates after 9/11 or giving the address of jail inmates to get a FEMA debit card, some morons will stop at nothing to rip off the government.
My two favorite quotes from the CNN story:
After ellaborating on some of the items that had been purchased FEMA "auditors concluded (many of those items) were 'not necessary to satisfy legitimate disaster needs.'" Well, a lapdance can be very relaxing..so I've heard :)
Also,
Spokesman Aaron Walker said FEMA has "revamped the registration process" and has a contract with a company that will verify immediately the identity and address of anyone for assistance.

"We are confident in the system we have in place at this point," Walker said. "We are prepared for the upcoming season."

Well, I would've hoped you had this system last year, but I guess we shouldn't ask for too much.
It does go on to say that about 1/2 of the money has been recovered, but still I would guess the strip club is the one out the money, not the person who saw the boobies. While I joke, it is ridiculous that people are this inconsiderate. This is why I am always very hesitant to donate to charities. I feel bad having those reservations, but this just reaffirms it.

1 comment:

ptg said...

"Inconsiderate", you say? They are thieves. Lets call a spade a spade here, Hosh. (No racist double entendre intended.)