Sunday, March 19, 2006

Vote for the least worst

KETV has a GOP gubernatorial debate on right now between Dave Nabity (local businessman), Dave Heineman (current governor who fell into the job when Mike Johanns got the hell out), and the Tom Osborne (if you don't know him, you are new to the state). Its ridiculous. First of all, somebody's been playing with Heineman's mic. They've got the echo feature on and it sounds like he is in the middle of a Quonset hut. Everybody is thanking the hosts for the questions. Just answer the damn question. They are all trying to get fired up about the issues, but none of them has the personality to get nasty. Nabity just said that he was concerned about two species...both of which were farmers. Granted, farmers and ranchers are a dying breed, and it is too bad. But they are not animals. They are not a "species." Osborne...I fall asleep every time he talks. Its not that interesting. I have a hard time listening to him talk about meth when I doubt he's ever seen it. Really, its not who you like the best, its who you hate the least.
I need to fluff my pillow.

2 comments:

ptg said...

There are several things I like about Governor Heineman. (His Cuba mission isn't one of them.) I think it would be better for Nebraska to stay with him now. He has done a creditable job, considering he "fell into the job."

Coach Osborne is a swell cat, a great Nebraskan, and he has done a good job for our state as a Congressman. He should come home to a position of honor. Whatever he does, I trust it will be wholesome and beneficial. The office of Governor isn't a position of honor so much as it is a position of responsibility.

Osborne hasn't given me any reason to think we should change horses in midstream. I have no idea about Mr. Nabity. At least Gov. Heineman has taken a stand (the right one, I think) on the OPS takeover scheme. I have had good experiences in dealing with his office, much as I enjoyed with Gov. Johanns.

Hosh said...

PTG-
I agree about Heineman. I think Osborne relies too much on his status as Coach to make a firm decision, although I will say he's not horrible. I heard the other night that Nabity's plan for OPS was to give some of their lower-performing schools to some of the suburban districts, which, as you know, is the exact opposite of what the M-F Empire wants to do. While I don't agree with the Empire, that comprimise, if true, is outrageous.