Saturday, September 02, 2006

Opening Weekend of the 5th Season

Yes, I was born in Nebraska, but I am not a Husker apologist. Far from it, especially if you read back in the archives, you're sure to find evidence of that. Having said that, I love college football. There isn't anything like it. I would even say I enjoy being in Lincoln on football Saturdays, but I just don't appreciate homers.
Here's a few things that I'm taking away from this first weekend:
*Congrats to the Huskers on a fairly impressive first game. The defense was unbeatable at times and the offense showed flashes of brilliance. But the loss in the secondary could be costly for Nebraska if they run into a team that has a solid offensive line. It will be interesting.
*Go Georgia Tech! We here at the House are far more anti-Irish than anti-Husker. Right now the Irish are down by 3 in the 3rd. Georgia Tech is starting to shoot itself in the foot.
*Still a little leery about Texas. Yes, their new QB, Colt McCoy, was lights out, but it was North Texas. He'll see how well his pants fit him next week vs. Ohio St., who laid a shalacking on Northern Illinois.
*Not a good start for Dan Hawkins in Colorado. Oops.
Damnit. Notre Dame just scored. Somehow I figured their poise might be too much for Tech. I hate Brady Quinn like I hate Derek Jeter. They're both great athletes and play for winning teams. Just ticks me off.

1 comment:

ptg said...

Derek Jeter is not a human being. He is some kind of hellish imp conjured up to play baseball.