Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Arrogance on Display


Some people's arrogance just gets under my skin. I think I'm a born underdog, fighter for the common man. As you may have noted in a previous blog, I'm rooting heavily for the Texas Longhorns in tonight's championship BCS game, not just because they are a Big 12 team, but even more so because of ESPN's lusting over USC all last week.
So at halftime of tonight's game, the USC band plays "Beat It" by Michael Jackson. That's fine, it's the only Jacko song I will tolerate. However, during the band's little "dance routine", they proceed to jump a couple steps towards the crowd, grab their respective genitals, and scream like the gloved one does in his video. I respect the fact that this is a great band and loved the work they did with Fleetwood Mac, but come on. Some parent is less than proud. I don't want the guy fired, just hoping he realizes how tasteless that is. I'm not that much out of college and did participate in a college drum line. Never did we consider doing something so childish (nor were we ever on this large of a stage). If a player did that on the football field, he'd be chastised by the announcers. But I guess since they are just a bunch of "band geeks", it's tasteful.

No comments: