Monday, December 19, 2005

Maybe a minor retraction


In my last post, I mentioned Omaha being a "wanna be" big city. I thought about this when I was driving towards downtown the other day. I think there are some aspects of Omaha that do mirror a big city (I still maintain that most media do not). Then, I saw on the CNN crawl tonight that Brooks & Dunn will be opening for the Rolling Stones here in town. That's pretty impressive to have both of those acts on the same night in Omaha. So maybe a made too general a statement. I apologize. Congrats to the Qwest Center for bringing in some great shows. You can't say enough about what they've brought to Omaha, especially the downtown area.
But what's up with these opening acts? My first concert ever (well, at least someone that had been on the radio...Otoe street dances don't count) was Kiss in 1997. They had a jazz band open for them. Oh yeah, they got booed off the stage. He had to keep doing a song countdown to keep us from revolting and charging the stage. I've been to concerts since then that I could see the relation (Kiss for Aerosmith, Godsmack for Metallica), but then Kanye West opens for U2. I understand the political view relationship, but that really doesn't register with the majority of the audience. If you are a big U2 fan, more often than not you are not going to be a Kanye West fan. I guess Brooks & Dunn has some rock flavor in their tunes, but to open for the Stones? I don't know if this is a local thing (although I don't believe it is), but I think you need to have some similarity between opening and feature act to keep the natives from being restless.
Just a program note: I'm not happy with the wire tapping, eavesdropping, etc. that pres. bush has admitted to. That will be in an upcoming post once I find some more time. School is almost out. I'm sure all of my reader will be waiting on the edge of their computer chair.
The O logo is property of the Greater Omaha Visitor's Bureau (I think). It's from visitomaha.com.

2 comments:

ptg said...

Actually, the Greater Omaha Visitor's Bureau leases the big O from overstock.com. I used to think they just stole it from Pauline Reage's erotic book. At least it isn't 'Rare, Well Done".

Hosh said...

Yeah, I'm not sad that went away either.