Thursday, November 17, 2005

Nothin' Like a Good Drug



I'm a big music lover. No good drug (legal or otherwise) can have the calming effect on me that a beautifully written, not too deep, track can do for me. If you try to create too many metaphors or substitute all emotion with abstract images (see U2), you really just lose me. I'm not into all that.
My issue comes because I don't think that there are any really great new bands out right now. I start going through the trusty iPod and browsing a couple of my old standby band websites, and they don't even have anything good out.
Back in the early '90s there was a band from Stillwater, OK, that had a pretty big following in Lincoln called the Great Divide. They quickly became my favorite relaxant. A few years back, the lead singer, Mike McClure, decided to head out for himself. Both have put out albums since, neither of which I jump at like I did the old stuff. Remain, the last album they put out, its still a classic to listen to. My second choice is Revolutions, put out back at the end of the last century.
I don't have an appreciation for the new stuff, not like I do the classics. I'm a big outlaw country fan, from Shooter Jennings (up-and-comer and Waylon's son) to Billy Joe Shaver. It's very honest music. Maybe I'm just not a mainstream music fan. The whole reason I got the iPod is I can't listen to radio without having to channel surf. As much as I'm in my car, your arm gets tired.
The point? If you have any suggestions of new music for me to check out. let me know. I will say I was pretty impressed with Sara Benk and the Robbers at the Bon Jovi concert. They are going to have to be a stop when I have more time to go see a show. Let me know what good drugs you are shooting into your ear drums.

1 comment:

ptg said...

I quit buying new music in 1970. I am a comitted fogey. I can barely hear any more, either, after having attended numerous Rolling Stones concerts.