Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Why isn't the "right" the "left"?

Has anyone every wondered why the political "right" is considered the right? What wasn't a conservative every referred to as the "left"? And does that ever offend left-handed people? Like maybe, "Oh, he's crazy because he's lefthanded."
This is why I try to stay out of hardcore politics. I always end up with questions like this. I'm too nice to say, "All Republicans suck!!!" because I know that's not true. And I'm also willing to admit that not all Democrats are the peachiest. Don't worry, I'm not getting soft. I still think Bush and his Merry Morons need to exit DC.
Sorry for the off-the-wall post this evening. Too much Supreme Court talk. I wish I had Bush's power to literally change the landscape of the whole judicial system for year's to come by saying one person's name. I can't wait for college basketball season. Go Tar Heels!

1 comment:

ptg said...

Right and Left political designations originated in the seating of different factions at the various 'assemlies' and 'parliaments' during the French Revolution.

"Left" and right" - These political terms originated in this era and derived from the seating arrangements in the legislative bodies. The use of the terms is loose and inconsistent, but in this period "right" tends to mean support for monarchical and aristocratic interests and the Christian order and religion, or (at the height of revolutionary fervor) for the interests of the bourgeousie against the masses, while "left" tends to imply opposition to the same, proto-laissez faire free marketeers and proto-communists..

From the Glossary of the French revolution".